Entertainment Blog Directory

Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July Oddity

Happy 4th of July!

I've got an oddity in the rabbitry- one of my does kindled on July 1st. She had 2 normals and 2 peanuts, one peanut being a DOA. I didn't remove the other one immediately like I usually did, because when I found them they were all freshly born and I usually like to give them a day of nursing and life to be sure they are peanuts.

It's now July 4th. I have a 3 day old peanut that is still alive. Not only still alive, it's eating. Not thriving, but it's being fed and taken care of.

I've heard of folks who have "peanuts" that live past 3 days, and I always sort of thought those people were crazy. You know- it surely wasn't really a peanut, it was just a runt, that kind of thing.

Nope- it's an actual peanut- down to the ear size being off, it's still the size it was when it was born, etc. It's very strange.

It's the only solid kit in the litter, the other two babies are brokens. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I worry that sooner, rather than later, the other two siblings are going to prevent it from nursing and the little peanut will pass. It's just so strange to go out and see it! I'll have to get some pictures.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Have you ever read the story of Micro? A mini rex peanut that lived over a year?

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/micro.htm

It's not unheard of for them to last awhile. I've had peanuts live for a week until they are so shriveled up and small I can't bare to watch them suffer so I euthanize them...