Entertainment Blog Directory

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Little Bunny Foo-Foo

There is a great rhyme for children that goes "Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I don't wanna see you, scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head."

Right now I'd give a lot of money to have my own little bunny Foo-Foo to go around scooping up these field mice and popping them a good one. In fact, that service might be worth a carrot or two.

This year, we've got a new variable in the rabbitry- Patience. She's an older holland lop doe who runs loose. Most days she hangs out in the rabbitry, going out to lay in the sun or graze in the yard.

Because of Patience, I can't put down poison. I don't like poison anyway, I don't want these little devils getting in to unreachable places and dying, rotting away a little at a time. I don't want them dying in trays or in food dishes.

But I sure don't want them eating and spoiling the food that belongs to my bunnies!

We've started an aggressive program of little furry mouse death. I purchased 4 snap traps, to be loaded with cheese and put in areas that Patience can't reach. I've also got 4 glue traps. These guys are going in the storage room where the mice can get to them but Patience can't. The good news with the glue trap is that even if she manages to get on it, vegetable oil will turn her loose. These traps are actually what I had the best luck with last year.

I like to keep the traps varied though. The first generation of mice will get nearly wiped out by the snap traps. The survivors learn to avoid them, which is when we swoop in with the glue traps.

I also need to catch the outdoor cat. She's being fed by someone up the road (SIGH, why can't people mind their own business SIGH) and doesn't come home very often anymore. I need her back to lock up in the rabbitry at night, so she can do her job. Thankfully, she doesn't mess with the rabbits- she knows they are mine, though I did see the gift of a full grown wild bunny she brought us.

So yeah, that's about it- snap traps alternated with a vicious mouser and glue traps. Hopefully we can keep the mice at bay!

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry




3 comments:

TLR said...

Hickory Dickory Clock....

You need a clock! LOL!

I wonder if Patience is loving her new found friends and tell them, "hey you, there's a trap here, and here and here"....

"Come have a feast with me?"

I hope you get the rodents sorted out....

Keep said...

I wouldn't be shocked, she's hateful like that :lol:

Karlie Ries @ Show Bunny Rabbitry said...

I'm having the same problem. I've been using poisin but it dosn't work very well.. I'll have to try the snap/glue traps.