Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I learned something new today...

I checked over my doe, Keep's Gorgeous, who just gave birth a few days ago. Her kits of course died because it was her first litter and it wasn't easy on her.

Anyway, as we went to clip her nails, we noticed a discharge on her vent. It was white and very thick, almost like cottage cheese. Are the women reading this twitching yet? "Cottage Cheese" will be the key phrase a little later.

Well, I knew she was fine just after she had given birth, so my first thought was a vent infection of some kind- but what kind specifically? I didn't want to dose her immediately with Pen-G and then have to turn around and use something else, mixing meds on her.

I inquired on Rabbit Habbit, in the Bunny ER section. Thankfully, Krys got in touch with me and after we discussed her symptoms, she confirmed my first impression, that I dismissed as silly- Gorgeous has a yeast infection.

Yes- I learned rabbits can actually get yeast infections!

I'll be feeding her as much yogurt as she can stand to eat over the next week or so. Remember- it needs live cultures and no aspartame! I'll try to give an update in a few days :).

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: