Entertainment Blog Directory

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Small Miracle

My posts the past two days have been doom and gloom, but really, can you blame me?

To tell you this story though, I need to give you some background.

I bought a doe named Southlands Carson in Ohio. She's a huge, beautiful doe, solid black, who recently had her first litter- bred to Tryon. She kindled 3 pointeds and a black baby. She has pulled herself so bald she has only a "racing" stripe of wool along her spine. She is 100% bald on the rest of her body.

In the incident, when checking nestboxes, we found one of the pointeds and the black baby dead. One of the other pointeds was out in the cage and is fine. We never found the fourth baby and it was assumed that it had passed away before the incident and "disappeared" as sometimes happens.

I moved the pointed baby in with Keep's Bahama's litter, which is only a little younger and gave Carson a baby that was only a few days old. (That is a long story in and of itself).

Now, on to the miracle.

We were feeding and watering yesterday. Carson is in a bottom cage in the corner of the rabbitry. I squatted down to fill her J feeder when a tiny little head thrust itself out of the waste pan at me!

It was the fourth baby, the one presumed dead! It was hanging out in the tray under her water bottle. When I came over, it ran out to me. I picked it up and noticed that it has just opened it's eyes!

The poor little guy was chattering at me all the way to Bahama's cage to be reunited with it's sibling. I think it wanted me to know just what it went through.

I'm entirely shocked that it's still alive and in such good shape! It was hungry of course and a bit dehydrated, but otherwise- wow. I'm hoping it will make it, but it's definitely a fighter!

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: