Entertainment Blog Directory

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Feels like the first time...

I was on the verge of running late for work this morning, but something told me to swing by the rabbit barn. One thing I've learned over the years is that when the little voice screams at you, you need to listen.

It's a good thing I did.

Keep's Cupid kindled two babies. One was in a poorly made nest, where she had dug through the hay until she hit the wooden floor. There he was, none too warm, but alive. The more pressing concern to me was his sibling. It was lying on the FLOOR of the rabbitry. My first thought was "Oh no...".

I was sure he was dead.

I reached down to pick up the little corpse and it wiggled a little as I approached it. When my hand touched it, it jerked it's head up and started nosing me. Anyone that has had baby bunnies knows exactly what I'm talking about. "You're not mom, but maybe you're going to feed me anyway?"

I rebuilt the nest and put the pair together. Cupid jumped in to investigate the new nest immediately. I hope she doesn't undo my handiwork! However, with temps slated to hit 95 again today, even if she does they will hopefully be fine until I get home and can check on them. I cleaned up a stray piece of placenta in the cage and went to check the other ladies.

BL's Jiggy had one DOA baby. She's finally settled, I've been trying for quite a while to get a litter out of her. She goes back to Keep's Durham, so she should mesh very easily in to my lines. Now that she's kindled once, I'm hoping the next time for a nice fat litter.

Keep's Bahama, the rotten girl, has pulled all her hay out of her nestbox and built a ridiculously thick nest on the wire in the opposite corner. Siiiigh. I removed it, restuffed her box and moved it to her preferred corner. Hopefully she gets things right! She's usually a great mom (and throws super cute kits).

No one else has kindled yet.

I swear, each litter feels just like the very first one. I'm always sad to see peanuts, I hate to see DOAs and I'm thrilled to death with each new baby. Even in a situation where I'm overflowing with healthy, beautiful litters, it never gets old! I still absolutely love the first time the babies run to the cage door to great you. I love posing up a 4 month old and your jaw dropping because the ugly duckling exceeded your wildest hopes. I love turning to Tim and showing him a 2 week old, exclaiming "We've got eyeballs!"

Each litter reminds me of that first one- a little blue Holland Lop baby named Solitaire.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Isn't it amazing how each litter feels like the first? Every time I check a box I see flashbacks of baby Bandit, Trixie, Rebel, Cinnamon, Scotch, Button, Kahlua, Surprise, Francis, Sassy, and Razzle.. amazing how that first litter sticks with you.

midnightbunny said...

You are so right about listening to your instincts. Every time I have not done so I have regretted it in so many ways. Great post, and I'm glad you were able to check on the kits in time.