Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

If I Die Young...



If I die young,
Bury me in satin,
Lay me down on a bed of roses,
Sink me in the river at dawn,
Send me away with the words of a love song.


Sometimes it feels like the world is screaming at you, but you don't know what it means. My favorite radio station played the above song "If I Die Young", a country song by The Band Perry 5, times from my 8:30am commute to work, until I arrived back home at 2:30.

At 4:30, I went outside to check on the rabbits and found a horror that I know is going to haunt me. I don't even want to describe it here. It's actually only in a lucid (I should say numb from the pain) moment that I'm even able to blog right now.

I had a massive heat-stroke outbreak in my barn. It claimed 13 lives, including Keep's Cupid and Keep's Tryon. I lost six Tryon babies, all nestbox age, along with various juniors of great promise and varying age. As I write this now, Keep's Fiona is struggling for her life.

I don't know what the future of Keep's Rabbitry will be. Tryon was the heart of it all. We buried him underneath our Willow tree, with four of his lost babies. I don't think he would have minded, he always loved his babies.

I clipped a lock of his wool and placed it in one of his BOB trophies- the one he's pictured with at the top of the post. It's a poor way to pay tribute to a little bunny that meant the world to me, but I couldn't bear to let him go without some physical reminder of him.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Keep, I wish I had some words to bring you comfort during this horrible time of loss. Tryon was such a wonderful bunny, he is resting peacefully now. I'm sending you lots of hugs, please let me know if there is anything I can do. Love you.

Lindsey said...

This is just devastating...I am so sorry for this unthinkable loss.:-( He was a gorgeous wooley. Praying for you!

Yusof Zaki said...

I am sad to hear about the lost. Although we are far away across the globe but being the same rabbit lover, I can feel the same sorrow at this time. I am sure you can overcome as the time passed by and perhaps something better will happen out of this experience.

Keep said...

Thank you guys for the support.

Terri Erb said...

we do not know you well, but have admired your pictures online and anyone who has loved rabbits can understand what you are going through. We are very sorry for you and your rabbits. If we can help you with something new down the road, let us know.
Terri adn Tessa Erb

April @ Scrambled Eggs said...

I'm so so sorry Keep. I wish I could do something to help you. *hugs*

TLR said...

Keepee,

I am kicking myself right now for being late to read this blog. And it explains why you have been "quiet" for the past few weeks. I am so sorry to read about this.

And Time will heal trust me! Keep your head up Kristen! Don't ever give up!

<3,
Timothy