Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm Out of Bubblegum

There is a quote from the 1988 movie They Live. I'm going to edit it a slight bit for language, but it goes something like this: "I'm here to kick butt and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

The hardest thing for people outside of the rabbit show world to understand is I do not breed for profit. I do not breed to sell rabbits. I breed to "kick butt". I breed my animals to conform as closely to the ARBA Standard of Perfection as I can get.

Sometimes, I get animals that are of pet temperament and do not conform closely enough to the standard that I care to sell them pedigreed, or the animals have the misfortune of being of brood and show quality in a time of no shows or no transport. In that case, other arrangements are made to move out the excess stock.

In short- I'm breeding to kick butt. I'm not breeding to supply the pet owner population, or to stock someone else's barn. Do I always kick butt? No. Do I often sell nice stock to outside barns? Of course! It's just that MY grand plan is to have kick butt rabbits. Everything else is incidental.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: