Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thinking about Less Holes

I've been thinking for a while now about reducing my rabbitry down. I have approx. 50 total holes available. This includes the one Scout is in, the one Joe is in and the one Bandit is in, which takes me down to approximately 47 working holes among the two breeds. However, I have 7ish in storage now, which really puts me to 40 cages in my actual barn.

With life getting busy, it's getting harder and harder to stay on top of cleaning the stacking cages. I wish we could go to hanging cages or a brush-clean system. Talking to Whitney about her rabbitry plans REALLY made me jealous with her cage set up system!

Anyway, I've been thinking- after having sold down the hollands so much, selling several of the woolies and selling out of the Belgians (with the exception of Bandit, who is a lifetime pet), now would be an excellent time to sell down my cages as well. After all- an empty cage is a temptation.

I look at how well Joni has done with what is a tiny rabbitry. I'm not sure of exact cage amounts, but I believe she has around 20 cages for two breeds. She's done very well with the hollands and the woolies she's turning out are beautiful-

It's a double edged sword though. I know she and I have talked about how nice it is to be able to hold on to bucks longer and have more of them, to be able to grow out babies- keep charlie marked, etcs... at the same time, she gets her cages cleaned out FAST, the feed bill is less and she just talked on her blog about getting to socialize her babies.

I think I'll be listing some cages for sale soon. I've pretty much talked myself in to it I think, just want to be sure before I definitely go for it.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

3 comments:

April @ Scrambled Eggs said...

I think this is a good idea, Keep. Fewer holes, less feed, less cleaning time. All benefits!!

Keep said...

I think it will also force me to cull even harder. I'm already SO strict on the herd, but there is always that one you keep just to "see what she/he throws..." :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

~Kayla said...

I think that is a great idea! I know with empty cages in my barn, I become tempted to expand a little bit more. But I have about 20 holes, and It keeps me only keeping the best for my herd. =] Good luck!