Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Harrowing Adventure

Well, yesterday, I got a message from Susie out in California- the shipment of rabbits we've been planning were on their way! HOORAY! They were scheduled to be in Atlanta by 3:17pm, so we planned on arriving around 4pm, knowing it takes a while to get the cargo unloaded and to the shipping offices.

As we left our house, it started to snow- and for the first time this year, it started to stick!

We met April of Silver Maple Rabbitry there- this shipment was split among four folks, in hopes that we could offset the considerable costs of shipping in stock!

I talked a bit with some ladies shipping in puppies (that were adorable! A Bull terrier pup and an english sheepdog) and endured some eyerolling from the man behind the counter that we were waiting on rabbits. Ahh well, he didn't have to like it, he just had to tell me where to sign.

Around 4:30 or so, FINALLY, in come our rabbits! I'm always a nervous wreck when shipping, so many things can go wrong! Everybunny looked well, from the quick check we could give them- it was FREEZING outside!

April got her starting wooly herd, including Yes! I think we're going to have to watch her tan patterns, from what I've seen of her new buck and doe, coupled with Yes...she's got the potential for some killer animals!

We start back home, and outside of Atlanta it starts snowing. And starts laying! Uh oh. Around 3 hours from home at this point and it's snowing? Not good.

It proved to be not good at all. We hit some hairy sections that required speeds of no higher than 30 mph, but the worst came from the idiots that wanted to blow past in trucks- fishtailing the whole way!

What would normally be considered "30" minutes away from home, we came to a dead stop. It was the second wreck we'd seen, but it wouldn't be the last. We were stuck, dead still, for 30 minutes, and finally when we were able to move on, the roads had gotten even worse. On the last big mountain before home, we saw another 4 wrecks, the car slipped and slid, even going the blazing speed of 25! On our exit, there was yet another wreck.

Thankfully, we made it home safe and sound. The bunnies are hanging out in the living room, taking turns in a playpen- though as my girl Vixen and a doe I'm "babysitting" Honeybee learned, if you jump out of the pen, you go back in. Do it again, and you lose your play time!

Here are the pics! Starting off with Vixen!

Mystic Moon

Little Steps

Constant Comment

As you can see, they won't be hitting the show tables any time soon, but that's ok :)

Keep's Rabbitry


April said...

I'm so glad you guys made it home! It was also great to finally meet you after talking online for so long.

And woohoo, I have some nice Woolies. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, so pretty! Glad you made it home safe!