Entertainment Blog Directory

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Gearing up for shows

September marks the return of shows for us here in North Carolina.  We have three in that month alone, after a summer of pretty much no showing opportunities in state (we do have one show in July). 

So, how are the rabbits gearing up for the show season's start?  By molting to the skin of course!  After all, they've only had three months to get this over with, why not wait until mid-August to start the molt?

I'm going to be doing a lot of tattooing over the next few days.  The babies are starting to be weaned from their mothers and I don't want to make a mistake and forget which black baby belongs to who.  I'm also going to have to start coming up with names for all these juniors! I prefer to have a name by the time they hit the show table, though I know some folks who name them at birth and others who don't name them until they breed the rabbits.

I sexed Puzzle's litter- One of the torts, the chestnut and the siamese sable are all does, while the other tort is a buck.  Both my current favorites are little ladies, which thrills me beyond reason.  Bee's little blue is a buck.

I currently only have one doe expecting, but I am not expecting to see a litter out of her.  Everyone else has been on a break or has been raising a litter, but I'll be rebreeding my brood does soon.  I'll have to be careful and make sure I don't breed anyone I want to show, since I don't show my does once they are 2 weeks in to pregnancy. 

-Kristen

2 comments:

The Kings said...

Good luck at the shows!! I can't wait to hear how your buns do, I know they'll rock it on the table, no doubt. ;-)

The Kings said...

Oooh, and congrats on your pick of litters being Does!! You've been waiting on them a while...