Entertainment Blog Directory

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Terrible, Terrible Set Back

Today started out not bad- little did I know.


We went to Tractor Supply- I've made the decision to switch feeds for a little while to see if it would up my conception rate in the does. We get there and I find Manna Pro, which is $11.62. But I'm looking for Manna Pro Show. I find it- no price of course. We spent 15 minutes trying to get one of the lazy workers to, oh I dunno, GET TO WORK and tell us how much the feed costs. It's $14.99 a bag! Holy crap, Purina Show is $1.50 cheaper!

But, I buy two bags because of it because it's costing me more to feed rabbits that aren't producing, ya know?

We search high and low for alfalfa cubes for the rabbits- sold out. Gah.

So we give them our $32 and take out two bags of food home.

Today, it's cold. I mean 16 degrees cold- at the hottest part of the day. So we decide to go on and feed now. I get ready to pull my pail out of the bag of Purina, in it's container and scream- 5 MICE ARE IN MY *NEW* BAG OF PURINA THAT I OPENED YESTERDAY! I might as well have just set fire to that $14! Plus, my feeding equipment is dirty. I'm not a screamer, but they jumped at me!

So I spread out my new glue traps, all $8 worth as I'm trying to figure out what to do, when I notice Miss Muffet's baby.

Now, what most of you don't know is that Muffet's other baby died a few days after Keep's Spectacular passed on. I suspected enteritis, even though I've been giving them plenty of loose hay, although I'm also thinking that it's possible she choked on a pellet. Well, the remaining baby was smushed up in to a corner. I pick her up, she's dying. Obviously dying. I rushed her inside, and I dunno what I'm hoping- that maybe the warm will help her, but it's not going to, she's going to die. It's enteritis, I've seen it before. It's a mixed blessing, I don't have an illness in my barn, but I lost two babies to enteritis- again! This summer I lost a whole litter, despite the fact I was giving plenty of hay!

So there go my two holland babies. I have 1 mini lop baby left, who has enough hay to eat to build 12 nests out of. Half of what I had left is in there with him now.

So, I got to cold switch my entire herd to a totally new feed today, because the feed store that sells Purina is CLOSED. It took three times as long to feed because of the rats ruining my pail & scoop, which I'm going to have to disinfect tonight. I can barely move my fingers, my lips are white, I'm not even kidding. I had to help Tim gets his gloves off after he watered.

Get this- he poured some of the left over water on the car and WATCHED IT FREEZE. It took, oh, about 10 seconds.

Great day.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: