Entertainment Blog Directory

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Breeding Updates.

Well, so far I'm not terribly impressed with Apple Cider Vinegar.

I tried to breed 4 does today, all who have been on the ACV. Out of those four, only 1, a broken mini lop, wanted to breed. So I've got a 25% success rate with ACV. I loaded up the water of several of the others I *REALLY* want babies out of soon, and we'll try tomorrow, when there is a lot of light outside. Maybe that will jump start the girls a little bit. I guess I can't blame the ACV, there were 3 days in a row they didn't get it, but it's nice to have a scapegoat sometimes.

I came home last night to find one dead baby on the wire. Luckily for me, Malena noticed a nice nest and a spot of blood but no babies with one doe, and after a quick search of the ground located the first newborn! It's currently living the good life with Malena & one of her does who has agreed to be a foster mom. This other baby was a fetal giant and wouldn't have made it anyway. Thankfully Malena had her eye out for babies!! Especially since the other does who are due don't really seem like they are going to be on the ball. We're already 2 days late on the others. *sigh*

There go a few more does that have to go back in to the breeding "rotation". I hate it, I truly do. With a limited number of nestboxes, I can only breed X number of does at a time, 2-3 weeks apart. So when the does don't take, that's one extra rabbit I have to add in to my list of girls I want to get babies from. Which means one more doe I have to put off breeding for another few weeks.

I'm currently looking for nestboxes. I'm willing to do bunny trades (depending on the rabbit & number of nestboxes), or knock some money off a rabbit- or straight out buy them! If you know anyone in the NC mountains with extras, drop me a line! :)

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: