Entertainment Blog Directory

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Birthing Trouble

Well, for the first time in a while, one of my does is having birthing trouble.

Aspen, a REW wooley doe, was set to kindle her last litter for me (before going to her new home) on the 19th.

On the 21st I noticed that she was plucking fur and nesting. Around 11pm that night, I noticed that there was some blood in the nestbox. Excited, I pulled the box out, only to find it empty. Aspen's bottom was covered in blood, but there was no sign she had given birth and her stomach was still tight.

I gave her dandelion leaves, which is a milk stimulant, hoping that would help get her going. I also allowed a buck to mount her. He humped away, but she was not in the mood to lift.

Here we are, almost 25 hours later. She's since been given crushed up Tums melted in water, in hopes the calcium would stimulate labor. She's tired, but still bright eyed.

Earlier today, she did pull a clump or two more of her fur and place it in the box, but has yet to pass any kits.

I treated her to a belly massage this afternoon around 5pm. Poor girl, she feels like she's ready to pop!

I'm hoping she's able to pass these kits on her own. Should she not have them tomorrow, I'm afraid I'll have to resort to oxytocin.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

2 comments:

LHHR said...

Wow... I come to your blog and I see we have the same issue... I have two does having birthing problems and I've never had to deal with it before :(

sending good luck your way

Susie said...

I recently had a doe go 6 days over due, and on her due date, she had blood in her cage. She eventually started having the kit, a fetal giant who I had to pull out. ( not to mention by myself. :X ) She eventually passed a couple other normals, one wasn't formed well the other appeared to be fine, but were DOA. This was her second time having kits, who says second timers can't have stuck kits?