Entertainment Blog Directory

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cold Temps

The temperature has PLUMMETED here in North Carolina. I despise this time of year. Frozen water bottles, bone-chilling winds, kitcicles- blah.

What I most hate are those frozen water bottles though.

I have 9 overflow cages in the garage. These are the crappiest cages I own, and yet the garage bottles don't freeze!

I am thinking of moving some does in to the garage to kindle. At least it's ever so slightly warmer in there, at least for now, and I can check on does and kits without having to brave the freezing winter nights.

I swear, I don't know how people up north live in these kinds of constant temperatures, I really don't. Brrr!

My next litters are due on the 14th and the 18th. Since I've been seeing that next week the temperatures are going to reach the mid-40s to very low 50s, I am thinking that will be the target breeding date for anyone that missed on the last round. I also have a few newly senior does that need to be bred.

I have one little buck who I am going to have to put down. It breaks my heart, but we've been fighting his wry neck for over 3 months now. He simply can NOT recover from it, and while no one else has had any problems, not even his littermates, I just can't continue to deal with it. I also do not want to breed in weaker immune systems. He's so gorgeous, it's going to be a hard thing to do, but it's best for everyone all around, I feel.

The silver lining is that culling him will open up a hole, which is always helpful.

-Kristen
Keep's Rabbitry

No comments: